Closing Date: Friday, 7 October 2022
Reports to: Head of Finance & Operations
Direct reports: Visitor Experience Assistants, Venue /Operations Coordinator
Location: Humber Street Gallery, Hull
Contract type: Full Time (37 hours) flexible working pattern
The role is responsible for developing and delivering commercial events, products and
activities that introduce new audiences and visitors to our venue and generating income to fund our wider cultural programme.
The role is also responsible for ensuring a high-quality and safe experience for our staff, visitors and customers, ensuring the venue is sufficiently staffed, operating effectively, safely and securely and according to all appropriate regulations and standards.
Strong relationship management is key for this role which will regularly liaise with partners such as our Food & Beverage provider, event providers, suppliers and internal teams to ensure our offer is well coordinated and communicated clearly.
Regular weekend and evening working is a core requirement of the role.
• Lead on the delivery of the Commercial strategy and Absolutely Cultured (Enterprises) Ltd business plan, to develop and deliver events and offers which achieve agreed income targets, maximising the income potential of the venue and introducing new audiences to our programme.
• Lead on the relationship with our Food & Beverage providers to ensure effective
partnership working and a high-quality offer.
• Liaise directly with the Creative teams and our F&B provider to effectively coordinate activities within the venue.
• Work with the CEO & Artistic Director and Development Manager to implement a range of commercial events such as weddings that will drive income for the charity.
• Responsible for all merchandise ordering, stock control and the successful growth of our merchandising offer.
• Responsible for budget management and reporting of all commercial activities.
• The role is responsible for managing two visitor experience assistants and an Operations Coordinator.
• Ensure the effective running and sufficient staffing of the venue and events taking place within.
• Manage and communicate a venue staffing rota.
• Ensure the effective set up of resources and staffing required for events and meetings including AV equipment and furniture.
• Monitor the condition of events spaces and ensure they remain presentable.
• Monitor cleanliness across the venue, including its exterior, with regular checks throughout shifts.
• Ensuring any staff and volunteers undertaking venue staffing roles are effectively briefed on duties.
• Assist with the movement and storage of merchandise and other deliveries.
• Support, line manage and provide direction for the Visitor Experience Assistants, Venue Coordinator and Operation’s Coordinator as appropriate.
• Ensure any operational issues and requirements are promptly and effectively handled.
• Responsible for ensuring the opening and closing of the venue when required; ensuring the building and its contents are secured and alarmed when closed.
• Maintain oversight of the experience of visitors and liaise with our Food and Beverage provider to ensure the visitor experience is seamless and high quality whatever the reason for visiting.
• Work collaboratively with the wider programme team to ensure venue staff are effectively briefed on all exhibitions and events
• Lead on ensuring visitor safety and security throughout the building.
• Actively support and contribute to a culture of excellent customer care.
• Working with the wider team, ensure accurate data capture on audiences visiting the venue to inform future plans.
• Be the main point of liaison for all staff including franchised partners and take
responsibility for the health, safety and well-being of all visitors.
• Provide cover for Venue facing roles as required.
Operations, Health & Safety
• Oversee the operational administration of the organisation’s venues including
compliance with all health and safety regulations
• Ensure that operational functions support the smooth delivery of the artistic
programme and that resources are appropriately utilised.
• Drive forward initiatives that support the organisation’s environmental improvements agenda
• Experience of managing a public building.
• Experience of managing within a sales environment.
• Experience of managing a Food and Beverages facility.
• Experience of delivering the operational and technical elements of events to a high standard.
• Experience with AV and technical equipment.
• Strong communication skills, able to clearly communicate and influence others.
• The ability to act with tact and diplomacy in a variety of situations and with individuals from different backgrounds.
• Experience of using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and e-mail to intermediate office standards.
• Practical awareness of health and safety issues.
• Experienced in working collaboratively and in engaging and leading others whether direct reports, colleagues or volunteers.
• Strong organisational and project management skills, ability to manage multiple tasks and effectively prioritise own work and others.
• Interest in, and knowledge of the arts sector.
• Retail or commercial event experience.
• Previous gallery or museum work experience.
• Knowledge of First Aid and Licensing Issues.
• Positive and enthusiastic attitude, including a flexible approach to developing and delivering the role.
• Commitment to achieving high standards and a thorough and meticulous approach to work.
• Ability to take own initiative as well as working as part of a team.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure.
• Ability to show initiative and resilience when dealing with change.
• Confident in engaging members of the public and colleagues.
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Curriculum Vitae
• Covering letter or supporting statement (no more than 2 sides of A4)
Marketing the Humber on the national and international stage
Humber Spotlight - read by over 4,000 people across the region.